Sunday 26 April 2015

A day to remember

Today I had the opportunity to look at the huge steps forward my little man has made..... TWICE.... As as a proud mummy I had to share...

Most of you who know us, or follow my Facebook or blog, know how much Mr C loves his routine. It's a very typical thing with ASD. He also has passions he can not live without. One if these passions is the Golden Arches of McDonalds...

Today I decided to spend the afternoon with my Mum and kids, go to the park, do a bit of shopping and generally get some quality time in. With kids fed lunch, we headed of to the park with a detour through McD's for a takeout coffee and food for Miss M since there was nothing "suitable" at home.... 


Now a trip to the Big M normally means a "nugget happy box" with a toy and "happy milk" for Mr C. This meal is one of the few foods he eats, so unfortunately it is a regular occurrence. Today, however, once we picked up the coffee and other order Miss M asked where Mr C's box was. 
He piped up "I don't need one! Mummy cooked my hashes before we left home!"  
Miss M then asked "what about a happy milk??" 
Mr C replied "I have my red juice!!!" 

WOW!!! I was stunned. I actually expected a meltdown from him without his bits - but instead he had an explanation for Miss M!!! I was shocked!!! And so proud!!!!

So off to the park we go. A few other families were around which normally means I have to keep an eye on Mr C for rough play, particularly if the other kids didn't want this kid trying to push into their fun. After hanging out with the other boys for about 5 minutes he spotted a young child playing ball with his father. Mr C wondered over and started playing so nicely, and not bossy, sharing and just being the gentle soul he truly is. I headed over to thank the gentleman for allowing Mr C to join into the obvious father - son time and this complete stranger said "it's ok. He is such a lovely boy".... Ummmm what???? These are not normally words I hear with regards to my son!!! Yes I know he is, he has his moments, but I normally have to sit on the edge of the seat, ready to protect unprepared children or step-in with an explain action for parents. 

We left the park and headed to the memorial park to pay our respects. I sat with the kids and had a chat about the solders, their great grandpa and why ANZAC Day is a day we remember before heading to the shops. Miss M attended the dawn ceremony with Daddy but I missed the ceremonies this year, and most years, as it's too much for the younger ones. Mr C was very knowledgable on the subject, obviously ANZAC has been well discussed at school, and he had seen the photo of Grandpa Wallis in his soldier portrait. 


Then off to the shops. We ran into some friends who mentioned Mr C received an award at school the previous day. A funny story... The other award winners were given the opportunity to hand their awards to their mummies before returning to their seats. Mr C stated he did not have a mummy.....  A few giggles from parents. I wish I could have been there for him. :( I checked his award tonight in his bag - for most improved kindness. Yes - a huge improvement!!! 

Needless to say he received plenty of extra cuddles tonight. 

Sometimes we get so caught up in the challenges that we forget to celebrate the achievements. Today has reminded me....
 

Not that the day has been all sunshine and rainbows, but it has been a day to remember. 

Xoxo 

No comments: